THERE IS ALWAYS A HEALTHIER VERSION!
Diwali, a time to fill your house with lights, good vibes, friends, and family. And a chance to welcome all the abundance you crave for the new year.
A big part of the Diwali festivities is eating (lots and lots of eating) with a big focus on all the delicious sweets. Every year I try and “healthify” some of my favorites, and this year I was going for coconut laddus.
This one is super simple and requires minimal prep or downtime. I was going for a nut-free version and made these with sunflower seeds but these turn out wonderful with any nuts or seeds (I love cashews, almonds, pistachios, and even walnuts).
A sweet healthier treat this Diwali
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds or nut of choice
- 20 medjool dates (pits removed)
- 1 cup shredded coconut divided
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder (optional)
- Add sunflower seeds to a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Next add in your dates, 1/2 the shredded coconut, all of the coconut oil, water, and cardamom powder.
- Process until all the ingredients come together.
- Line a tray with parchment paper. Use a cookie scoop or spoon to portion out and roll into approximately 1 inch balls.
- Coat each ball by rolling them in the remaining 1/2 cup shredded coconut and place them on your baking tray. Refrigerate for 1 hour to set.