MY FAVORITE SMOOTHIE RECIPE, BURSTING WITH RICH FLAVOR AND NUTRIENTS.
A smoothie can be a wonderful, nutrient-dense meal replacement. And this one is so delicious you will definitely be having it on repeat!
While smoothies have become popular, they are more often than not, made incorrectly which will leave you with a sugar-loaded beverage that won’t be doing you any good and will end up leaving you hangry and unsatisfied.
If you want to find out more about how to build the perfect smoothie, follow my template here but always keep these tips in mind when building your own smoothie.
- Fat has little to no effect on blood sugar (this is a good thing!). When eaten with protein and carbs, fat slows down the absorption of these foods, which helps to avoid energy crashes caused by spikes in blood sugar. Fat keeps you satisfied for longer, so you can avoid the post-smoothie hanger.
- Protein works along with fat for satiation and keeps blood sugar steady. Protein is also important to maintaining muscle mass.
- Fiber, like fat, slows down the process of sugar absorption. Fiber also promotes a healthy gut microbiome and supports detoxification.
- Leafy greens, plants, veggies, and herbs are all great at adding more fiber, vitamins, minerals, micronutrients, and antioxidants. Remember to mix things up to change up the nutrients you are getting.
- Fresh & Frozen fruits are added for flavor and sweetness along with additional fiber, vitamins, minerals, micronutrients, and antioxidants. Remember less is more. We want to avoid blood sugar spikes.
- Toppings require chewing, and chewing is a good thing when it comes to digestion. Chewing releases salivary enzymes that initiate digestion. Chewing also sends signals to the rest of the digestive system to release digestive enzymes, stomach acid, and other chemical reactions needed to properly break down food and maximize nutrient absorption.
This recipe for one of my FAVORITE smoothies but you can get creative using my build a smoothie template.
- My favorite protein powder? NUZEST all the way! (use the code HEALTHYISHHAPPY10 for 10% off)This pea protein is clean, easy to digest, and full of good-for-you plant-based protein. I personally love the vanilla flavor because it’s the most versatile!
Arabian Morning Smoothie
A delicious meal replacement smoothie
- 1 cup of liquid of choice. I like using nut milk
- handful of ice
- 1 tbsp raw tahini
- 1 tbsp chia seeds or ﬂax seeds
- ½ a small banana or 1/3 a large banana (preferably frozen)
- 1 date
- ½ cup frozen cauliﬂower or zucchini or both
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- optional - sprinkle of dried rose or 1 tsp of rose water
- 1 serving vanilla or unflavored protein powder (I love Nuzest)**
- Topping - cacao nibs or sesame seeds
- Blend all the ingredients except topping.
- Pour, add toppings, and enjoy
For Plant-based Whole 30 and Whole30 use a unflavored protein powder.