A MIDDLE EASTERN AND NORTH AFRICAN DISH TRADITIONALLY SERVED FOR BREAKFAST OR LUNCH, THIS CAN BE MADE ENTIRELY ON THE STOVE OR FINISHED IN THE OVEN.
For those of you who know me, you I like big flavors, and this simple dish is full of them.
I’m a big advocate of starting your day with a savoury breakfasts as it really keeps you satiated and gives you a nice even energy to start your day. It also won’t leave you craving for sweet snacks all day. What we are after in the morning, is steady energy to start our day and this has the protein and good fat to do just that.
This dish does well in big portions and baked so feel free to double or triple the portion and serve it up at your next brunch. If you have a big enough cast iron skillet, great! if not, you would need to cook the sauce first on your stove. After the sauce is ready, transfer it to a baking dish. Make your wells to break the eggs into. Bake on 180℃ / 350℉ for 8-10 minutes. The whites should be set but yolk nice and runny.
You can also add additional veggies while cooking the sauce. I have tried zucchini, spinach, and capsicum. They all turned out well.
A complete breakfast with tons of flavor and easy to prepare.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 clove of garlic (or 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp chili powder (or to taste)
- 1.5 cup good quality crushed tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup of any additional veggies you like - baby spinach, kale, zucchini, mushroom, peppers, eggplant (optional).
- salt & pepper to taste
- On a medium flame, heat your extra virgin olive oil.
- Once hot, sauté the onion and garlic for about 30 - 45 seconds. Add the cumin and paprika, chili powder, and a bit of salt. Continue cooking for about a minute or until aromatic.
- Add your crushed tomatoes and any other optional veggies you are adding and lower the heat. Mix, cover, and let cook for a few 3-5 minutes.
- Next, make 4 wells and carefully crack an egg in each well. Cover and let cook for 7-10 minutes depending on how you like your eggs.
- Garnish and enjoy