DON'T LET THE COLOR OF MY SMOOTHIE FOOL YOU!
A smoothie can be a wonderful, nutrient-dense meal replacement.
While smoothies have become popular, they are more often than not, made incorrectly which will leave you with a sugar-loaded beverage which won’t be doing you any good and will end up leaving you hangry and unsatisfied.
- Fat has little to no effect on blood sugar (this is a good thing!). When eaten with protein and carbs, fat slows down the absorption of these foods, which helps to avoid energy crashes caused by spikes in blood sugar. Fat keeps you satisfied for longer, so you can avoid the post-smoothie hanger.
- Protein works along with fat for satiation and keeps blood sugar steady. Protein is also important to maintaining muscle mass.
- Fiber, like fat, slows down the process of sugar absorption. Fiber also promotes a healthy gut microbiome, and supports detoxification.
- Leafy greens, plants, veggies, and herbs are all great at adding more fiber, vitamins, minerals, micronutrients, and antioxidants. Remember to mix things up to change up the nutrients you are getting.
- Fresh & Frozen fruits are added for flavor and sweetness along with additional fiber, vitamins, minerals, micronutrients, and antioxidants. Remember less is more. We want to avoid blood sugar spikes.
- Toppings require chewing, and chewing is a good thing when it comes to digestion. Chewing releases salivary enzymes that initiate digestion. Chewing also sends signals to the rest of the digestive system to release digestive enzymes, stomach acid, and other chemical reactions needed to properly break down food and maximize nutrient absorption.
Here is the recipe for one of my FAVORITE smoothies that I have on the regular. Use this or get creative using my build a smoothie template.
I love making it a smoothie bowl as well!
Double the fiber for a thicker consistency and pour into a bowl and enjoy!
- My favorite protein powder? NUZEST all the way! This pea protein is clean, easy to digest, and full of good-for-you plant-based protein. I personally love the vanilla flavor because it's the most versatile!
- My favorite superfood that gives my smoothie and bowls that good-for-you green color –FRESH SPIRULINA! Use the code RIYANA for 10% off your order. If you don't know the power of spirulina, it is an amazing source of plant-based iron, B12, and minerals. It is also wonderful at helping the body with it's detoxification process.
Chocolate Covered Strawberries Smoothie
Nutrient-dense, delicious meal replacement
- Liquid - 1 cup liquid of choice (nut milk, water, coconut water, etc.)
- handfull of ice
- Fat - 1 Tbsp Almond Butter
- Fiber - 1 Tbsp chia seeds, or ground flax seeds, or this great prebiotic fiber mix
- Fruit - 1/2 cup strawberries
- Fruit - 1/2 a banana (optional)
- Vegetable - 2 cups spinach or Kale
- Nutrient Boost - 1 tbsp raw cacao powder & 1fresh spirulina pod*
- Protein - 1 serving vanilla protein or vanilla collagen powder
- Topping - Cacao nibs, shredded coconut
- Blend together all the ingredients except the toppings.
- Pour in your favorite glass or mason jar and sprinkle with toppings.
- Or make it a smoothie bowl by doubling the fiber for a thicker consistency and pour it into a bowl instead!
*use the code RIYANA to get 10% off your fresh spirulina!