THE PERFECT GRAIN-FREE REPLACEMENT FOR THE CLASSIC INDIAN BREAKFAST.
This Grain-Free version of upma doesn't disappoint.
One of my favorite weekend breakfasts used to be a big bowl of upma and a hot cup of chai. I loved this especially in the colder months but unfortunately, my body didn't enjoy the meal as much as my tastebuds did! I would be left feeling tired and bloated after the meal.
Last Saturday I woke up to a rainy breezy morning and cravings for comforting upma and chai came on strong! I decided to do a little experimenting and found using cauliflower rice works amazingly well as a replacement for suji (semolina)!
I paired my delicious grain-free and low-carb upma with a dairy-free masala chai and the meal was perfect! I got my craving satisfied, and didn't have to deal with a drop of energy and bloating!!!!
Give this upma a try. You can have it for breakfast or serve it up with lunch or dinner as a lovely masala cauliflower rice.
A low-carb version of one of your favorite Desi breakfasts
- 2 tbsps ghee or avocado oil for plant-based
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 to 3 dried red chilis broken in half
- 3 tbsp cashews
- 3 tbsp peanuts (omit for Omnivore Whole30 & Clean-in-15)
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 1 green chill, chopped
- 1-inch piece of ginger
- 4 cups riced cauliflower
- a few tbsp of water if needed
- Protein option - Add 1/2 cup green peas
- Heat your ghee or oil in a pan. Once hot add your mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cashews, and peanuts (if using). Cook till aromatic.
- Next add your curry leaves, dried chili, green chili, and ginger. Saute for 1 minute
- Add your chopped onion and cook till transparent.
- If you are using peas, you can add them in now.
- Add your cauliflower rice and salt. Stir through. Cover and let cook for 10 minutes.
- Check your cauliflower upma and add a little water if needed to get the desired consistency.
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander and a squeeze of lemon