CAULIFLOWER AND POTATO COOKED IN AROMATIC SPICES.
I've moved this traditional dish I grew up eating from the stovetop to my oven.
There is something about popping a dish in the oven, setting a timer, and forgetting about it. When a dish is being cooked on the stove I tend to feel I need to hover over it! Maybe it's just me!
Anyway, I love when I can convert a stovetop recipe to an oven one, and this oven-roasted gobi aloo turned out wonderful.
The cauliflower (gobi) and potato (aloo) turned out perfectly tender, and the onions were beautifully caramelized.
If you are having this as a standalone dish with some rice or grain-free roti, I would probably add in some chickpeas for protein. As a side dish, It is just perfect as is.
Oven roasted Aloo Gobi (Potato & Cauliflower)
a traditional Indian spiced cauliflower and potato dish made conveniently in your oven
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1" squares
- 1 medium brown or white onion, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic grated
- 2" piece of ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (or to taste)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- lemon, quartered
- Preheat your oven to 200℃/390℉
- Add your chopped cauliflower, potato, and sliced onion to a large bowl
- Add your spices.
- Add your oil.
- Give everything a good mix
- Transfer the spiced mixture to a lined baking tray
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lemon.