A SPICY ASIAN VARIATION ON THE HUMBLE NORTH AFRICAN/MIDDLE EASTERN DISH WE ALL LOVE!
For those of you who know me, you know I like big flavors, and this simple dish is full of them.
Even better it’s got an Asian-inspired twist that works sooooo well!
This is a perfect dish to start your day with, but give it to me for breakfast, lunch, or dinner and you can call me happy!
Shakshouka is a North African/Middle Eastern dish with tomatoes, eggs, and spices, but today we are putting an Asian spin on things using Everiday chili sauces & coconut aminos, ginger, and sesame oil.
Don’t be afraid to change it up by adding extra veggies like eggplant, bell pepper, mushrooms, spinach, and zucchini – They all work beautifully! You can even skip the eggs and make a vegan version of this dish.
Spicy Asian inspired Shakshouka
A delicious unexpected Asian spin on Shakshouka.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, sliced or chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped or sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 3/4 cup good quality crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp Everiday Foods House Chili
- 1 Tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander (leaves and stems)
- 2 eggs
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Sliced scallion
- More Coriander
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Everiday Foods garlic chili oil
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Sauté the onion and season with a bit of salt till translucent.
- Add the bell pepper, garlic, ginger and cook till fragrant.
- Add your crushed tomatoes, chili sauce, coconut aminos and give everything a stir. Lower heat and cook for 2-3 minutes. If u feel your tomatoes are getting too dried out, u can add a little water.
- Mix in your coriander and sesame oil.
- Make two wells and crack your eggs in. Cover and let cook for about 2-4 minutes (depending on how you like them done.
- Garnish with toppings of choice and enjoy right out of the pan!
For entertaining, double or triple the sauce. Pour into a baking dish, crack in your eggs, and bake in a preheated oven at 180℃ / 350℉ for 10 minutes or until the eggs are done to your liking