A DAIRY-FREE VERSION OF THE CLASSIC PESTO. NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW THE DIFFERENCE!
This one is a no brainer and something I make in bulk and store it in the freezer for easy quick meals. Great on almost anything!
I use walnuts instead of pinenuts most of the time simply because pinenuts are kinda expensive for the amount of pesto we go through! ⠀
I also like to superfood my pesto with either baby spinach or using fresh spirulina from Simpliigood (use code healthyishandhappy for 10% off!). This spirulina packs a nutritional punch without the nasty flavor usually associated with spirulina. I highly recommend it!
Here is my quick and simple recipe.⠀
delicious over literally everything!
- 2 cups packed fresh basil
- 1 cup packed baby spinach or 1 pod of Simpliigood fresh spirulina thawed
- 1/4 cup walnuts or pine nuts... pinenuts are super expensive in SG! (if nut-free, use sunflower seeds)
- 3 large cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes (optional)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- water if needed to get the consistency you are after.
- To a food processor, add the basil, spinach/spirulina, nuts, garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, chili flakes, and salt and blend on high until a chunky paste forms.
- drizzle in the olive oil a little at a time (streaming in while the machine is on if possible) and scrape down sides as needed. Then add 1 Tbsp of water at a time until the desired consistency is reached
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed
- Stores in the fridge for a week and in the freezer up to 1 month or more.